Thursday 13 February 2014

Systems Thinking: Does it come hard to you?

How I overcame the inner reluctance of following process

A large number of organizations go for ISO standards and CMMI Appraisals each year. A very large number of employees opt for training in systems thinking and process improvement. All these trainings and implications have got their own advantages, which, when people attend training they realize, but a week or so after the training, they are back to normal!

I myself have been subject to many process improvement and systematization and systems thinking training, but effect did last more than 3 weeks at most. I always wanted to follow the approach, but somewhere deep down there was reluctance to do so. I didn’t want to be tied or may be answerable to myself at the end of the day. Hence, it wasn’t an easy deal.

Systems thinking came easily to my peers, who day after day kept on filling the templates, recording their works task after task and hence, completing all that was there SYSTEMATICALLY. I somehow managed to complete, because there’s a part played by forgetfulness.

It was then that I started playing with various tools to help me. The most helpful was having the checklists right in front of me, where I can’t escape filling them, and setting the reminders on my outlook, to further remind me to work in systems, and moreover, I asked my colleagues to review my work in accordance to the set systems.

The most useful was the Peer Review. It helped me identify where my efforts were being diverted from the systems and how to overcome them. Slowly, and steady I started following systems, and now it’s been a while since I have been up to date with the systematized processes.

No comments:

Post a Comment