Sunday 11 August 2013

12 Mantras for Effective Planning - Part 1

During my journey towards reading, understanding and learning the minute details of CMMI and hence process improvements, I have come across many new concepts unleashing immense knowledge but one concept which made me realize the importance of planning not only in herculean activities but also a minuscule activity of our day-to-day lives. That concept is ‘Generic Practices’ and we fondly call it ‘GPs’.
There are 12 GPs and following each one of them rigorously will make us systematic and hence will reduce the random thoughts drastically. The GPs are mentioned below:

GP 2.1 – Establish organization policy
GP 2.2 – Plan the process
GP 2.3 – Provide resources
GP 2.4 – Assign responsibilities
GP 2.5 – Train People
GP 2.6 – Control Work Products
GP 2.7 – Identify and involve relevant stakeholders
GP 2.8 – Monitor and control work processes
GP 2.9 – Objectively evaluate adherence
GP 2.10 – Review status with higher level management
GP 3.1 – Establish defined processes
GP 3.2 – Collect process related experience

After realizing its importance, we started an initiative in our organization which we fondly call as ‘GP Parade’. We made it customary that everyone in the organization irrespective of the level in hierarchy will participate in the ‘GP Parade’. Slowly, it has become a culture in the organization and our day never ends without ‘GP Parade’.
Apparently, we have seen a dramatic shift in the thought process of the people at CUNIX. One living example is the RACI matrix prepared by Ms. Harsha who works in admin department. The RACI matrix is shown below. It is a live example which is satisfying GP 2.4 and GP 2.7. So, from here one can understand that GPs are rooted strongly in our value system and we not only focus on learning it but also implementing it organization wide.


ADMIN DEPARTMENT'S ROLE RESPONSIBILITY - MATRIX
SR.NO.
Admin Activities
Employee Name
Employee Name
Employee Name
Employee Name
1
Opening and Cleaning Office
A
R
*
*
2
Office Key Management
*
R/A
*
*
3
Bank (Mon, Wed & Fri)
*
R
A
*
5
Prepare & Update PMS sheet every week on Saturday
R
*
A
*
6
Audit backup of all machines
R/A
*
*
*
7
Assets Register Maintain monthly
R/A
*
C/I
*
8
Router maintenance and operation
*
*
R/A/C
I
9
Biometric device maintenance and operation
*
*
R/A/C
I
10
H/W Repairs and Antivirus
R
*
A/C
I
11
Renew Internet
A
R
*
*
12
New staff induction
R/A
*
*
C/I
13
Muster, Check LAN, Update Board ½
A
R
*
*
14
Vouchers preparation
R
R
A/C/I
*
15
Courier Inward & Outward Management
A
R
C/I
*
16
Stationery
A
R
C/I
*
17
Printing of cards and other items
R/A
*
C/I
*
18
SUP
R/A
*
C/I
*
19
Staff travel
R/A
*
C/I
C/I
20
Visitors management
A
R
*
*
21
Vendor Management
R
*
A
C/I
22
Petty Cash
R/A
*
C/I
*
23
Utility Bills
*
R
A/C/I
*
24
Water and Tea Management
A
R
C/I
*
25
Cleaning of office
A
R
C/I
*
26
Release birthday cards
R/A
*
*
*
27
Diwali Program and puja
R/A
R
C/I
C/I
28
Picnic
R/A
R
C/I
C/I


Where R, A, C, I stand for:
R
Responsible
Primarily this person will execute the task regularly
A
Accountable
This person will get it done from the responsible person
C
Consulted
When expenditure & expense is involved this person will be consulted by R&A
I
Informed
This person is informed by R&A

Kudos! , Good work done Ms. Harsha. You definitely deserved a big treat. Your piece of work proved that we truly believe in learning and implementing things.

Watch out this space for more such experiments which we are doing in our organization which will definitely help, if implemented, other organizations to become systematic rather than random.

Till then, signing off. 


Contributed by: Rajendra Pratap Singh

No comments:

Post a Comment